Directions to the Schmittenhöhe
The fastest way to mountain joy
The Schmittenhöhe in Zell am See is the perfect destination for an excursion or a holiday no matter the season. For skiing fun in winter or hiking pleasure during the warmer months – if you visit the Schmitten, you can look forward to a jam-packed list of leisure activities.
And the journey to the Schmitten is a piece of cake. No matter which direction you’re coming from: Thanks to the great transport and traffic connections, your journey to holiday joy will be pleasant and stress-free.
Visiting the Schmitten by car
The easiest way to get to the Schmitten is by car.
Useful tips for your car journey:
- Charging stations for electric cars: In Zell am See, there are various charging stations:
- Parking areitXpress
- SMATRICS charging station (in the Rathausgarage)
- GREENSTORM charging station - Hotel-Gasthof Grüner Baum
- Winter tyres: are mandatory from November 1 to April (as well as during weather conditions that make them a necessity)
- Toll stickers (“Vignette”): are mandatory on Austrian motorways and clearways; they’re available at border crossings as well as online as a digital toll sticker.
- Emergency corridors: have to be formed on Austrian motorways and clearways in case of a traffic jam. The rule is: All cars on the left lane need to move as far to the left as possible. All cars on the middle and right lane have to move over as far to the right as possible.
Useful tips for your train journey:
Current train schedules are available directly at the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) and the German Federal Railways (DB). Especially during school holidays and peak season, we suggest reserving a seat to make your journey to the Schmitten even more relaxing …
Travelling by plane
The nearest airport is Salzburg’s W. A. Mozart Airport. From there, you can take the bus – or the train from Salzburg main station – to Zell am See. Tip: If you don’t want to bring special/oversized baggage, you can rent your ski and snowboard equipment from the ski rental stations on the Schmitten in Zell am See!
As you can see: No matter which direction or country you’re coming from – many roads lead to the Schmittenhöhe in Zell am See!